Thursday, January 24, 2013

MyFitnessPal App




During a class last week we started talking about an app some of the ladies use called MyFitnessPal. It is a free app that you can download to your phone, iPad or tablet to track your calories. I am not one for tracking calories, but the ladies were saying how easy it was. So Friday I downloaded the app and set it up. It was easy, but would I really do it? Since then I have tracked every day, and I love it! 
The app has tons of quick options to choose from, plus you can just scan the bar code and the information appears in your phone. Adding recipes is easy too.
Since I have been using the app I have been more conscious about what I am eating. However, the calories sometimes do scare me. On Friday I did 2 classes and the app gave me 1400 extra calories, which I think was a little high.  It made my allowed intake for the day 2600 calories. No way would I eat that many! I did eat 1500, which I think is good when you work out so much. At the end of the day you hit “Complete this entry” and it tells you how much you will weigh in 5 weeks if you continue eating the same way. It also tells you when you don’t eat enough, and that if you’re eating too few calories you will not receive adequate nutrition and will put your body into starvation mode, which will lower your metabolism and make weight loss more difficult.  I think that’s great! I have said it before - you must fuel your body. The app also shows you your percentage of carbs, proteins, and fats for the day, so you can gauge where you are and where you need to change things.
MyFitnessPal app is free and is great if it works for you. Why don’t you give it a try and see? Let me know what you think about it.
One last feature is that you can add friends and comment to each other for support. There’s also a log in for exercise. Kettlebell training is not thereL but you can add it yourself, and it is easy. I added 4 different kb exercise programs so I could add the right amount of calories:
800 for the really hard ones
700 for just the hard ones
650 for the not so bad ones
500 for those easy days

Hope you give it a try and “friend me” so I can support your hard work outside of the studio!

1 comment:

  1. During a class last week we started talking about an app some of the ladies use called MyFitnessPal. It is a free app that you can download to your phone, iPad or tablet to track your calories. I am not one for tracking calories. kettlebell workshop

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog